Dining in Allston
The dining options within the Science & Engineering Complex (SEC) includes a hot food cafe as well as grab & go food options. A number of restaurants and supermarkets are also located a short walk from the building.
The SEC Cafe
The cafe is operated by Harvard University Dining Services, and offers a number of hot and cold food stations, including a grill station, a deli, hot soup, a salad bar, pre-made food bowls (vegetable, grain, and protein mixes), smoothies, and desserts. Undergraduates can pay for their meals using BoardPlus.
Undergraduates on the meal plan are able to swipe for FlyBy meals — a Harvard University Dining Services offering of nutritious to-go options.
The SEC Micromarket
Farmer’s Fridge vending machines are located in the SEC MicroMarket space (Room 3.313; HUID needed) and the Maxwell Dworkin ground floor lobby in Cambridge. The machines are filled with salads, sandwiches, noodle bowls, snacks and will be available any time of day. Download the app via the Apple or Android Stores to earn free meals, reserve your item, and pay with your phone. You can also pay via credit card. View the Farmer's Fridge menu. Watch a video on how to operate a Farmer's Fridge.
Local Dining Options
Other neighborhood dining options include:
5 MINUTE WALK, OR LESS
- Our Fathers - Dual-concept deli and contemporary Jewish cuisine in midcentury-modern digs.
- Trader Joe's - Grocery chain with a variety of signature items, plus produce, dairy & more.
- Swissbäkers - European-style bakery showcasing homemade pastries and coffee.
- Dunkin' - Long-running chain serving signature donuts, breakfast sandwiches & a variety of coffee drinks.
- Jamaica Mi Hungry – Located at 182 Western Avenue. Open Monday – Saturday
11:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. for lunch and dinner and featuring signature dishes like Jerk Chicken, Oxtail, coconut rice and beans, sweet plantains, and several vegetarian/vegan options.
- Starbucks - Coffeehouse chain known for its signature roasts and light bites. Located at Continuum (219 Western Avenue).
5-10 MINUTE WALK
- Breakfast Club - Corner diner serving old-school breakfasts, plus burgers & sandwiches.
- Spring Shabu Shabu - Meats, seafood, noodles & veggies are cooked in tableside hot pots.
- Star Market - Grocery chain with plus produce, dairy & more.
- Harvard Business School Spangler Food Court - A Harvard Business School cafeteria. Available for dinner service.
10-15 MINUTE WALK
- Ariana - Family-owned restaurant serving Afghani cuisine.
- Article 24 - Two-floor restaurant & rock bar with funky American eats, craft beer & live music.
- Big Daddy's Pizza & Sub Shop - Small corner joint offering pizzas, subs, side dishes, and desserts.
- Blackbird Donuts – donut and coffee retail window available at 100 Holton Street.
- Casa Caña - Innovative New Latin cuisine & rum bar with a patio.
- Pavement Coffeehouse - High-end coffee, espresso drinks & tea go with baked goods.