Venkatesh "Venky" Narayanamurti Award for Mentoring and Community Building
Made possible by a generous donation from former Dean, Venky Narayanamurti
Purpose: To encourage and recognize SEAS staff members who have made a significant contribution to mentoring (including the mentoring of direct reports, colleagues, or students) and/or to community building at SEAS.
Who is Eligible for Award: All benefits-eligible SEAS staff members (except members of the award review committee), including full- and part-time staff on the bi-weekly payroll with primary appointments as staff members. Research and teaching appointees such as lecturers and postdocs are ineligible for this award---please consider nominating them for the Capers and Marion McDonald Award. If you have any questions about someone’s eligibility, contact Kim Harris in Human Resources.
Number of Recipients Per Year: Up to three recipients per year.
Criteria for Selection: Nominations from SEAS staff and faculty members should be in the form of a letter to the Dean sent to Tomye Little, Human Resources Coordinator. The letter should describe how the staff member has supported, encouraged, and promoted professional and personal career development of direct reports, colleagues, or students, and/or how the staff member has made a significant contribution toward building a stronger community at SEAS. Please include specific examples and contributions.
Examples of mentoring and community building include:
- Advising on professional development/career paths
- Inspiring others by example to pursue life-long learning
- Helping students, employees or researchers who are new to SEAS/Harvard
- Taking an active role in the career development of others
- Developing and implementing strategies that increase the ways faculty, staff and students can collaborate (e.g., in a lab setting, as part of an outreach activity, etc.)
- Taking an active leadership role in specific community building activities
What the Award Consists of: Winners will receive a framed certificate and a cash award of $1,000 (after taxes).
Nomination Time Frame: January 6 - February 14, 2020.
Review Process: All nominations will be reviewed by a committee; the committee will then make recommendations to the Dean.
Announcement of Winners: Announcement of awardees has been postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.