Read the latest updates on coronavirus from Harvard University. For SEAS specific-updates, please visit SEAS & FAS Division of Science: Coronavirus FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a building repair?

For help with an urgent repair or to report building safety issue, contact the Harvard 24-hour Operation Center, call (617) 495-5560.

To submit a request for a non-emergency repair, use the online work order system or contact the SEAS Facilities Office.

Parking And Shuttles

For information about parking, shuttles, and commuting resources go to the Harvard University Transportation and Parking Office.  

Parking permits are required for Harvard Parking lots and managed by the Harvard University Transportation and Parking Office. 

How do I request a key to my office/card access?

To request a key to your office or card access in Allston or Cambridge, please fill out the Key & Card Access Form and email to Facilities.