Description and Eligibility
Associates are unpaid appointees engaged in well-defined research for specific institutional objectives. Associates must be employed full-time elsewhere at a public or private company, or hold a non-ladder faculty appointment at another university. Exceptions to outside employment must be discussed and approved in advanced.
- May be renewed on an annual basis, but subject to review by the Dean every five years
- Not considered Harvard employees - therefore ineligible for Harvard employee benefits
- Three month minimum appointment
- SEAS does not provide Visa sponsorship for Associates
Please see the FAS Appointment and Promotion Handbook for additional details and policies and procedures regarding associate appointments, which are governed by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).
Appointment Checklist (for Administrators)
For new appointments of associates, the following information should be provided to the relevant Academic Appointments Manager:
- Offer Letter to the Associate
- Associate's CV