Description and Eligibility
Fellows are paid or unpaid appointees performing research under the sponsorship of a principal investigator; often non-SEAS graduate students; a bachelor's degree is required.
- May be reappointed annually, and may not remain a Fellow for more than three years
- Not considered Harvard students and therefore ineligible for resources and benefits only available to Harvard students
- Three month minimum appointment
- May be paid or unpaid. If paid, the Fellow typically receives a monthly stipend. The option to provide salary with benefits is available with approval from the assistant dean.
- Note: Fellow stipends cannot be charged to federal research funds. Please see the Office for Sponsored Programs' guidance on Stipends on Sponsored Awards for more detail.
Please see the FAS Appointment and Promotion Handbook for additional details and policies and procedures regarding Fellow appointments, which are governed by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).
Appointment Checklist (for Administrators)
For new appointments of fellows, the following information should be provided to the relevant Academic Appointments Manager:
- Offer letter to the Fellow
- Fellow’s CV
- Department EEO report from ARIeS (if posted in ARIeS)
- English Language Proficiency Form (for international scholars)
See the Harvard International Office Visa Information page